Dart frogs and crested gecko?

Discussion in 'Dart Frogs General' started by moricollins, Apr 5, 2019.

1. moricollins

moricollins Member

Hi everyone, sorry if this has been asked and answered before, I did a search but didn't find anything on the first 3 pages so I thought I'd ask.

I have an 18*18*24" exo Terra tank set up with a couple of crested geckos in it. Is it possible to set up a dart frog group in the bottom of the tank? (I've seen people do it with day geckos and dart frogs). If so, what species would be best for a beginner with dart frogs?

Thanks!

2. BraedenW

BraedenW Member

Although it theoretically can be done (with a select few micro species of gecko and years of experience keeping both geckos and dart frogs), it's often strongly recommended by most not to do multi-species enclosures for a number of reasons:
    Geckos typically require significantly less humid conditions than DFs, prefer temperatures and a basking area that are beyond the safe range for DFs, and larger species of gecko will often predate on DFs due to their small size. Not to mention they come from completely different parts of the world (Central America vs. Madagascar/New Caledonia etc.) and would never encounter each other in a natural setting.

If you're set on keeping geckos and frogs together, Mourning geckos and a larger DF species such as D. tinctorius or D. leucomelas have been reported to do well together, but I wouldn't push it much farther than that.

In a properly setup vivarium DFs will display such a range of naturalistic behaviors that it's not necessary to add other organisms into the mix. They stand out on their own, just as evolution intended.

Hope that helped.

Ron Jung and moricollins like this.
  3. moricollins

moricollins Member

Thank you!

BraedenW likes this.
  4. CarsonH

CarsonH Member

I keep both cresteds and dart frogs.

The biggest concern for me, is that they require significantly different living conditions. I would not expect either to thrive in a shared tank. And, the frogs would have to be a tinctorius as my geckos come out during the day and would put anything that moves in their mouth.

In my opinion, and am by no means saying that your wrong to use an 18 18 24, as I have seen many keepers keep them in 18 cubes, an 18 18 24 is not large enough for a crested, especially if your wanting to add some frogs to it. I have a 24 24 70 for my main crested tank, solo female. I have also housed cresteds in 18 18 24s, but found that they didn't have enough space to jump properly.

I wish you luck in your endeavors, and am happy to share my experiences with you.

If you are planning on going this route anyways, I would suggest a very large tank with floor to ceiling height. With a tank that large you may be able to accomplish microbiomes. If you have your misters in the bottom half, and play around with your settings etc, you may be able to make something work. I don't suggest you attempt it without a fat wallet, and patience to make sure your tank can handle all the seasons before putting in frogs. Cresteds have been very resilient to poor conditions, frogs however, not so much.

Again, the majority of the community will not agree that this should be done, or even tried, but, people have done multi species tanks relatively successfully in the past. A crested/dart frog combo? I have never heard of or seen, which does not bode well. Again, in my opinion.

5. moricollins

moricollins Member

Thanks for the insight. I was mostly just curious if it could be (or had been) done before (successfully).

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

6. Ron Jung

Ron Jung Contributing Member

I do keep gecko's with darts but micro gecko's like Mourning gecko's with Glacts and I have Gold Dust Day Gecko's with my Yellow Terribilis and they have been set up for a few months now and all are doing well. My Mourning Gecko has laid eggs in the tank and tends to be more nocturnal but do see her run around during the day sometimes especially after feeding. Mine are in a 24x18x24 for a larger footprint. Cresties are a little big and I wouldn't keep them with any type of dart frogs. There are so many micro gecko's out there just check out their requirements for humidity and heat so you can have gecko's with close requirements to what the dart frogs need. All the small Day Gecko's Eectric Blue Gecko's Phelsuma klemmeri would be OK but I wouldn't put anything over 3-4" in size in a tank with dart frogs and definitely not with any thumbnail. Try and look for gecko's that live in the upper part of the tank unlike Sphaerodactylus elegans which lives mostly on the ground. Hope this helps and just do your research on care and tank set up.

Ron.

Social Sharing