What's your supplement rotation?

Discussion in 'Food & Feeding' started by zZephyr, Apr 5, 2017.

1. zZephyr

zZephyr Member

I'm in my first week of supplement rotation. I've seen a lot of different opinions and I came up with a few ideas of my own and wanted some input as well. I have Repashy Vitamin A+, Calcium+ and Supervite. I'm thinking my rotation will run as the following

1. Sunday- Calcium+
    2. Monday- Supervite
    3. Tuesday- Calcium+
    4. Wednesday- A+
    5. Thursday- Supervite
    6. Friday- Calcium+
    7. Saturday- None
    I've seen people recommend mixing calcium+ and supervite in small doses, I've seen people say it's not recommended as some of the vitamins can break down when mixed with others. Thoughts?

2. mystah

mystah Legendary Member

I've heard that Vit A should only be given every other week at most.

3. RCFA

RCFA Member

My regiment, all Repashy: Calcium + every feeding, Superpig once a week and Vit A once a month.

I think your combination would be too much Vit A especially with the Vit A in Supervite and Vit A+ once a week.

4. BraedenW

BraedenW Member

@mystah and @RCFA are correct. You can overdose your frogs on Vitamin A if it is supplemented too frequently. The general consensus from many experienced froggers is that you should only supplement vitamin A two times a month at the most or if your frogs are showing a deficiency in vitamin A (eg.short tongue syndrome), are breeding and have had repeated unsuccessful clutches, or are young froglets as it helps them develop. Only in very severe cases should it be used weekly. After the deficiency has improved or the other issues have resolved, resume your biweekly/monthly regime. Additionally, one could even stop using it altogether as the proper vitamin A ratio is already present in the Calcium+, which was created to be an all-in-one supplement on its own.

I also recall seeing a post(s) on Dendroboard a few years ago where a very respected and knowledgeable member, Ed, shed some light on the subject of supplementation and vitamin A.

All of that said, I dust with C+ or Dendrocare every feeding for all of my darts (I switch it up). For my sylvatica, anthonyi and truncatus I add Super Pig to the C+ or Dendrocare once a week. And I supplement Vitamin A once a month as a booster for everyone.

As a disclaimer in regards to my use with Super Pig, I choose to only use it with the three species I listed but one can obviously still use it with any darts. Anecdotal evidence has shown that the best results are seen in species with reds and yellows, but subtle differences could also be observed in those with blues and greens.

Hope that helps!

greenoasis1 and zZephyr like this.
  5. zZephyr

zZephyr Member

Thanks for the information everyone. I'll definitely hold off on the vit A then, my darts are young juveniles so I think I'll try semi monthly doses for now.

6. erikm

erikm Administrator Staff Member

Good reply Braeden.

Personally I would not recommend stopping Vit A dusting once or twice a month though. Calcium plus and Dendrocare both contain Vit A, but from what I have read from Ed's posts, not quite enough for breeding adults.

There was a study with pumilio and carotenoids (superpig) which showed increased breeding success while being supplemented with carotenoids. I'll try to find the article as it was a very interesting read!

I feed every other day at most, and I use Repashy Calc+ every feeding, Repashy Vit A (twice per month) and Repashy Superpig (I mix a small amount into the calc plus and grind it up with a mortar and pestle). I've also recently added Rep-Cal Calcium with D3 and have Dendrocare on order which I will add into the rotation too.

Don't overthink supplementing though. Repashy Calc every time you feed and Vit A once/twice per month (max) is going to keep your frogs healthy. Don't forget to replace your supplements every 6 months and keep them in the fridge if possible.

mystah, BraedenW and zZephyr like this.

Social Sharing