What new features would you like to see on Canadart?

Discussion in 'Important Messages' started by erikm, Jun 1, 2016.

Tags: Add Tags
?
  1. Photography Contests

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  2. Other Contests (Share your ideas)

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. Optional Donating Member Status (Donations used for forum upgrades, events, shows)

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  4. Organized Community Events

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  5. Reptile Expo Presence (Canadart table)

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
  6. Integrated Forum Live Chat

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  7. Member Care Sheet Forum

17 vote(s)
    53.1%
  8. Nominated Vivarium of the Month

16 vote(s)
    50.0%
  9. Other

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. erikm

erikm Administrator Staff Member

For the June poll we would like to know what the community would like to see happen on Canadart in the upcoming months. Some of the poll choices are not exactly 'forum features' but are all directly related to the forum and community growth.

Make sure you select all features that apply to you and if you choose 'Other' please post your idea in this thread. As always feel free to discuss the poll options as well.

*This poll is to judge interest and we cannot guarantee these features are implemented so please keep that in mind.

2. TJ_Burton

TJ_Burton Contributing Member

I have always been a fan of draws or random-winner type contests. I find a shallow pool of members could actually win a photo contest based on the fact that not all members have professional equipment or much skill with a camera and are essentially excluded because of that. Even if they submit a photo, they would never win.

erikm and Carlos like this.
  3. DunderBear

DunderBear Member

Definitely a real time chat.

GermanEdam likes this.
  4. mystah

mystah Legendary Member

Not sure, but I still think there are a bunch of mambers with no location and I think it should be a Mandatory field

BCMosaic, DunderBear, dawndj and 3 others like this.
  5. erikm

Currently the registration process requires a location field for all new users. Outside of that, for already registered members, there is no way to enforce a location requirement other than to ask people to fill it in.

6. mystah

mystah Legendary Member

fair enough.

7. Gll_Nye

Gll_Nye Member

Why don't we have an event like Microcosm but here in Canada. Charge a registration fee 75$ or something. Have some presenters, vendors, organize some activities such as nature walks visit a zoo or aquarium. For example one year it would be hosted in Vancouver. A bunch of people in the hobby get together and go on a tour to either the Vancouver Aquarium or a botanical gardens or biologist guided nature-tour. At the end of the day, everyone meets at a bar or restaurant and hangs out. Then the next day there's a venue, have some presenters give talks, then after visitors will have a chance to trade/sell stuff, businesses and dealers could be invited to set up tables Expo style, have some t shirts made. At the end of it have a auction and donate the money made to next years event or conservation. Then the next year it could be hosted in Toronto to give people who live there a chance to go. I'm not volunteering to organize it though! ahaha but I just thought id say it. I went to last years Microcosm and it was a lot of fun!

8. Gll_Nye

Gll_Nye Member

Or forget the whole zoo/aquarium/naturewalk just a Canadart organized vivarium/plant/dart frog specific Expo would be pretty sweet...

9. DunderBear

DunderBear Member

I agree host something like this in Vancouver because we have nothing here. Sadly can't make it into that bar at the end of the night haha.

10. mwringe

mwringe Member

Any chance we could get https support? Its a bad idea to have people signing in over http, and with lets encrypt it doesn't cost anything to get a valid https certificate.

Bernie Hale likes this.
  11. erikm

Yep, very good idea. I can certainly get https setup.

12. DunderBear

DunderBear Member

Definitey implement some region system so it's easier to find and chat with local members almost no one is in BC :( I wish I lived in Ontario where all the expos are.

13. erikm

I'm not sure what you mean by a region system. Feel free to expand on your idea.

If you are looking for people specifically in BC, try making a thread in general about it and I think you will be surprised how many there are.

14. afterdark

afterdark Administrator Staff Member

We also have the Members Frog Index, which could probably be revived. Hasn't been updated in ages, but might be a good start to see who might be around you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. DunderBear

DunderBear Member

I have made a post before sadly very little response I only know of around 4-5 people, not including people on the island cause that's far and one of them doesn't keep frogs anymore.

Social Sharing