Snake Hunt

Discussion in 'Reptiles' started by H2-0, Aug 17, 2013.

1. H2-0

H2-0 Moderator Staff Member

So by now I'm sure everyone has heard about the two boys that died in N.B. this month from an African Rock Python. Horrible story and sad it happened but had anyone else noticed that every news station has started reporting on anything to do with snakes, always portraying snakes and snake owner in an extremely negative way?

Most places in Canada already have rediculus rules on snakes and this is not going to help the situation. In the long run this is the kind of thing that is going to lead to more fear of snakes and more misunderstandings.

I think it is a little rediculus that one incident with a snake is going to cause a massive witch hunt and more regulation but yet when people get hurt or killer by dogs, horses or other domesticated animals they are considered freak isolated incidents.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/08/17/pythons-euthanized-mission-bc.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...k-bull-snake-spotted-in-regina-park-1308.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2013/08/16/pythons-motel-brantford.html

2. frogfreak

frogfreak Legendary Member

You know what bugs me, as far as I know, the investigation isn't even over regarding the accident. I still find it hard to believe! It's been strangely hush hush and Fox news *roll eyes* was calling it a murder investigation the other day.

Now, the media gets hold of something and beats it to death, as usual...Normally, you wouldn't even hear about these stories. There's going to be a whole new generation with snake phobias. :eek:

We don't keep any snakes ATM but have. IMO they're a pretty cool pet, depending on the species.

3. Gabor

Gabor Contributing Member

That tragedy about the two boys is going to put a lot of new useless regulations on the owners of snakes! It is like the ban of Pittbulls, the ones that want to have the dog, or snake, will only be more determent to own one, because now it is taboo.... Anyways there will always be irresponsible pet owners, and the people with phobias, who will overreact to any situation. Not get me wrong, it is horrible what has happened to those boys, and I can not phantom, the loss their parents feel.... However, now the rest of us who own smaller snakes, will be blanketed under some outrageous law, that will create fear, and undue stress, for people who are responsible about their pets. With that said I do not think a 10' snake would make a good pet no matter how "gentle" it is....

4. MarkB

MarkB Member

I don't think any new laws will be put in effect. These animals were already illegal. I think Canada has a pretty good grasp on their snake laws, excluding Saskatchewan where all boas and pythons are banned. Rock pythons should not be owned by anyone IMO. Reticulated pythons are my favorite animal and I will remember the time where I was able to hold a 14' albino retic for the rest of my life. Do I think that anyone should be able to own them? Absolutely not because they are not a snake that everyone should have the right to own.

Here in Alberta we have what I would consider laws that are fair. Some may have different opinions but to sum it up we are not allowed venomous and we are not allowed retics, rocks or burms.

That being said there is always bad press and I hate to see people jumping to conclusions based solely on speculation. Nobody even knows the real story. All we know is what the media is telling us.... The key thing is that the rock python was already ILLEGAL. The government recognizes that this animal can cause harm to people and has already taken action.

Corndrunk likes this.
  5. H2-0

H2-0 Moderator Staff Member

Social Sharing