Red Footed Tortoise - who knows about these guys?

Discussion in 'Reptiles' started by Malli, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Malli

Malli Contributing Member

specifically Geochelone carbonaria
    just saw some CB in a PetSmart. Holy CRAP! It STOLE my heart! :x

So, does anyone know about keeping these guys?

2. RangerElisa

RangerElisa Member

hi i dont know ifanyone ever got you any info on them but I own one and call tell you lots about them if you would like.

3. 31drew31

31drew31 Contributing Member

Tortoises are great, very personable. Mine would come "running" to the edge of the enclosure and beg for food everytime. These were redfoots.

Adults get anywhere from 12-16" usually but are very slow growers. I kept mine on moist bark mulch with temperatures ranging from 75-110. Mine were always out, and at night went and slept in a hide. I fed a staple of dandelions with a good mixture of greens 5 out of 7 days. Also fed prickly pear cactus when available, as it's high in calcium and they loved it. I also mixed in different types of veggies every feeding day.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. They are great animals though.

4. Malli

Oh great!

What did you keep yours in? How big was it?

Would you say it was a big time investment to have one?

5. 31drew31

I kept mine in a 6x4 tortoise table made out of 4x4's, plywood and 2x12's for walls. I then sealed it with 5 thin coats of polyurethane. I used this table for about 2 years win constant moist soil and it still looked brand new when I sold them. They were about 9".

They are a much bigger time commitment than darts, but not too much. They mess up their water dish everyday so that needs fresh water everyday or second day. Feeding is easy because no need to buy crickets or make ff cultures, everything can be bought at the grocery store if it has a decent produce section. I also picked dandelion in the summer from out yard which they loved. The problem I had was if I wanted to go away for a week I needed a tortoise sitter, which was a pain. But if you have somebody that you trust to feed them and replace water while your gone you should be fine.

6. Malli

and lighting?

thanks very much for your info. I agree, a tortise sitter would be a pain; I may be going away later this year for a week or two and I have to find somewhere for my dog AND someone to look after my frogs and fish. Oy!

thanks very much for your info :)

7. 31drew31

I used mercury vapor bulbs with my torts, but have a friend who has raised 3 redfoots from 2" babies to adults under the red exoterra bulbs and his torts look great. Smooth shell and very active/hungry. He does supplement quite regularly which I think is why it works for him.

8. RangerElisa

RangerElisa Member

Also remember they have a life span of up to 50 years although they are one very cool tort and I wouldn't give up mine for the world they are like having a toddler for life! Now as they all have their own personalities and are a life time pet so when you get one make sure you get to know her first! My favorite are the females I love the fact that their shell moves in as they grow. And red foots like to soak and dig! So I burry my water dish for my tort's until it's flush with the dirt so they can easily get in and out! As well as provide a 2 to 3 inch substrate for digging and some leaves on top. Good luck these guys are the best!

Social Sharing