Mossy Frog Diet Variety

Discussion in 'Food & Feeding' started by AbraxasComplex, Nov 2, 2015.

1. AbraxasComplex

AbraxasComplex Member

So I plan on getting a small group of bird poop mossy frogs. I do not however want to depend on crickets.

Has anyone had experience with them eating large isopods? I want to rotate back and forth between the isopods and crickets.

Also what about any aquatic feeders? They spend quite a bit of time in the water when in captivity; will they consume feeder fish like white cloud minnows? What about frozen bloodworms?

Thanks for the help.

2. greenoasis1

greenoasis1 Contributing Member

I've kept and bred many Theloderma asperum their main diet in captivity is crickets.
    Younger frogs and adults will eat hydei fruitflies
    I doubt they will eat fish.
    They might eat isopods..I have never tried feeding them.
    I've tried bean beetles but most of the time they would spit them out.
    They will not eat frozen bloodworms..like almost all frogs they have to eat live food.
    Tadpoles will eat blood worms

3. AbraxasComplex

AbraxasComplex Member

I expected the tadpoles to do so. I've also heard the tadpoles do well on tubifex worms and other frozen foods too.

I also had 5 adult Theloderma corticale many years back in a large tank. It was stocked with grey isopods, but I noticed the sow bugs never reached full adult size. I suspected they were eating the full grown isopods and the isopod population was only renewing itself due to their ability to reproduce when half their full size. I was just wanting to see if anyone else had input. The aquatic portion was also filled with a renewing population of cherry shrimp and white cloud minnows. I never saw an adult frog consume them, but the amount of crickets I went through seemed low for the size of the frogs and very few of the younger shrimp and minnows reach adulthood as well.

May I ask what size, how many, and how often do you feed your Theloderma asperum? Thank you so much.

4. greenoasis1

I kept them in a breeding group of five, 2 females and three males.
    I fed them around a 1/4" crickets every other day or so .
    Make sure there are lots of overhangs over the water for them to deposit their eggs.

5. AbraxasComplex

AbraxasComplex Member

Thanks for the help.

Yep. I have the deposits already in place and may add a couple more. I won't be getting these guys for a few more weeks so I have time to tweak the tank.

And how many crickets did you feed them each time? And did you dust with calcium and a multivitamin powder once a week or every feeding? I'll probably be gut loading any crickets I buy each week.

6. greenoasis1

Probably a dozen crickets .
    I dusted probably every other feeding.
    I would now use repashy products to dust with and once a month dust with the vitamin A.
    Yes..make sure your cricket have eaten well before feeding them off.

Good luck with them ..I wish I kept my breeders but I sold them because of lack of space years ago.
    At that time I thought I could always get more but now they seem hard to find here in Canada.

7. AbraxasComplex

AbraxasComplex Member

Yah, I've noticed that. I used to be able to easily get access to several species of mossy frogs when I worked in the pet trade years ago. Now it has been a lot of searching and luck.

Sorry to clarify though. Did you feed a dozen per frog or a dozen for all the frogs together?

Social Sharing