Holed egg.

Discussion in 'Reptiles' started by grackle, May 10, 2016.

1. grackle

grackle Member

My Anoles have started laying infertile/practice eggs. One that remained in their terrarium overnight had a very small (1/16-1/32") hole appear in it. Not a big deal when its infertile, but I'm wondering what did it. The hole looks very much like what the mealworms use but how would a mealworm get to a ledge on a glass wall? And if its the mealworms how do I reduce their population harming no other fauna? The Anoles refuse to even nod to. the books saying that they and slugs are food.

2. grackle

grackle Member

Correction: Not mealworms. These have too many legs, like dozens. But can't easily climb out of a saucer.

3. erikm

erikm Administrator Staff Member

My guess would be slugs.. try leaving a piece of lettuce in the tank overnight and see if you find any slugs on it in the morning before the lights go on. They're definitely known to eat frog eggs, but I'm not sure if they would also go for lizard eggs.

grackle likes this.
  4. grackle

grackle Member

Ah. There is the odd slug. I've always assumed slugs were vegans.
    Anole eggs are leathery rather than the calcium hard eggshell of birds.
    I had seen your comment on settling fruitflies so I figured that there might be some hope to solving the mystery here. Thanks Erik.

5. grackle

grackle Member

Brown Anoles are accomplished breeders. The smaller terrarium has at least 7 hatchlings with the parents and the older planted terrarium easily has a dozen but they are harder to count since the decor is set to their needs rather than ours.

erikm likes this.

Social Sharing