Facebook page

Discussion in 'Important Messages' started by Drew, Feb 1, 2011.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Drew

Drew Administrator Staff Member

Guys and gals we have just create our own facebook page, go Like the page at:

http://www.facebook.com/canadart

Feel free to post your own photos on the newsfeed as well and share with your friends!

2. erikm

erikm Administrator Staff Member

I'd like to invite everyone who hasn't done so already to like, post your photos in the newsfeed and share our Facebook page.

Let's continue to grow the community!

dawndj likes this.
  3. H2-0

H2-0 Moderator Staff Member

Going to throw out a warning on the Facebook page.

Although there is the possibility to gain members through FB, it is just as likely to draw people away from the forum and onto FB communities.

As some know I run the carnivorous plant forum for Canada and I have specifically avoided making a FB page. Many of the other carnivorous plant forums are hurting for membership and activity is dwindling. One of the cited causes of this is because people are moving to FB to share instead of using the forum. People are already on FB during the day so why bother coming onto a forum when FB can satisfy that need.

This all being said, it could be be a draw to this forum as there might not be that niche group on FB. Just wanted to throw out a word of caution before pushing the FB page.

greenoasis1 likes this.
  4. erikm

erikm Administrator Staff Member

I could chat about this for a loooong time so I'll try to keep this short and sweet:

Facebook is great. Everyone uses it and we can't fight it, so we need to join it :)

What Facebook does well is allows people to share content.

What it does not do well at is allow people to carry group conversations/threads that are indexable by search engine spiders and easily searchable by users. For those very two reasons forums aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

In my line of work we use facebook to generate traffic for company websites and that is my hope for the Canadart facebook page as well. I haven't been able to sink my teeth in too far in facebook as my time is only limited to evenings mostly for design work, but I am on holidays for 2 weeks starting on the 24th :D

What everyone can do themselves to help is post your photos on the Canadart newsfeed and share them on your newsfeed and tell people to like the page and join the community at canadart.org

Your point is definitely valid though, but there is also a proactive approach!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    Bernie Hale and greenoasis1 like this.
  5. Bernie Hale

Bernie Hale Contributing Member

The forum is much better at keeping your stuff organized. Build threads, personal messages etc.
    I will always document my builds and frogs on Canadart because it's nice to add to your thread as time goes on. Almost like keeping a public log. I will sometimes post a link on Facebook when people are interested in the build process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

erikm likes this.
  6. Carlos

Carlos Contributing Member

I've never been on Facebook. Is that bad?

mystah likes this.
  7. mystah

mystah Legendary Member

Hahahaha Carlos

My wife is the same. I have all her friends on Facebook just so she doesn't miss event invites.

Social Sharing